2009/05/05

Don't stop me now!

Hello my highly numerous readers.

This blog entry is about inaccuracy, and how things can still be truely awesome enven though they are actually full of scientific holes. I will be considering the song "Don't Stop Me Now" by Queen.

Tonight I'm gonna' have myself a real good time
I feel alive and the world turning inside out yeah! (if the world were to turn inside out, I very much doubt you'd be feeling at all alive.)
And floating around in ecstasy (Emotions have never practically been shown to cause levitation.)
So don't stop me now don't stop me
cause I'm having a good time having a good time

I'm a shooting star leaping through the sky (Shooting stars, meteorites, certainly aren't leaping, they're actually falling very fast.)
Like a tiger defying the laws of gravity (Tigers have always been shown to exhibit full compliance with the laws of gravity as they are currently understood by modern physics.)
I'm a racing car passing by like lady godiva (I believe she was a human on a horse, not a car.)
I'm gonna' go go go
There's no stopping me

I'm burning through the sky yeah!
Two hundred degrees
That's why they call me mister Fahrenheit
I'm travelling at the speed of light (It's likely an object moving at the speed of light within a planet's atmosphere would be heated to a much higher temperature by the friction with the air.)
I wanna' make a supersonic man out of you (The simplest way for an object travelling at the speed of light to accelerate another object to a supersonic velocity would be by a collision, both objects would almost certainly be vaporised by the energy involved.)

Don't stop me now I'm having such a good time
I'm having a ball don't stop me now
If you wanna' have a good time just give me a call (Sending a transmission to a person travelling at the speed of light would be impossible by any conventional means of communication as the photon would never catch up. A transmission could be sent using particles in quantum entanglement, but overcoming the time dilation effects would be very near impossible, unless the person giving the call was also travelling at a similar velocity.)
Don't stop me now (cause I'm havin' a good time)
Don't stop me now (yes I'm havin' a good time)
I don't want to stop at all

I'm a rocket ship on my way to Mars (I guess we are to assume this line is from the perspective of a sentient, integrated ship's computer.)
On a collision course
I am a satellite I'm out of control (Satellites, by their very definition cannot be on a collision course, or out of control.)
I am a sex machine ready to reload (most sex machines don't expend ammunition, and therefore will never need to be reloaded.)
Like an atom bomb about to
Oh oh oh oh oh explode

I'm burning through the sky yeah!
Two hundred degrees
That's why they call me mister Fahrenheit
I'm travelling at the speed of light
I wanna' make a supersonic woman of you (A woman would have the same problems with acceleration as a man.)

Don't stop me don't stop me
Don't stop me hey hey hey!
Don't stop me don't stop me ooh ooh ooh (I like it)
Don't stop me don't stop me
Have a good time good time
Don't stop me don't stop me ah

I'm burning through the sky yeah!
Two hundred degrees
That's why they call me mister Fahrenheit
I'm travelling at the speed of light
I wanna' make a supersonic man out of you

Don't stop me now I'm having such a good time
I'm having a ball don't stop me now
If you wanna' have a good time just give me a call
Don't stop me now (cause I'm havin' a good time)
Don't stop me now (yes I'm havin' a good time)
I don't want to stop at all

1 comment:

'รถ-Dzin Tridral said...

I think it is also important to analyse the author's use of the phrase "good time". Is he referring to the accuracy of a clock, or to the apparent difference in the way time is perceived in different frames of reference. His need for a "good time" may simply be a reference to a need to compare the time that has passed for him (whilst moving at the speed of light) with the time that has passed for someone at rest.

As well as having a "good time" the author is also having a "ball". The reference here to a spherical object may also imply that he was considering the nature of the curvature space itself.

As this would therefore appear to be a treatise on the consideration of time and space as a unified event, I believe that your critique of the composition has been valuable in uncovering hidden depths of meaning. I commend your perspicacity and would recommend that you take you analysis of Mr. Mercury's work to PhD level.

You may wish to take into consideration such works as "Seven Seas of Rhye" which appears to be about an alien being coming to earth. Of course there is also the historical treatise "Bohemian Rhapsody" which also deals with philosophical questions such as "is this the real life". There is much here to consider.